Madona Dudu Church
Monastery / Church
It mainly is known as the Cathedral of Our Lady, being one of the largest Orthodox churches in Craiova. The church was built in Brancovenian style between 1750-1756, at the initiative of Constantin Fotescu and Hagi Ion Gheorghe, having side apses and arches thereof with stone poles decorated with leaves.
The church was named after the wonder icon of the Virgin Mary, which – according to the legend - would have been found in a mulberry tree on the place where the altar was later built.
The Madona Dudu church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It was later rebuilt in 1844 after its demolition during the earthquake in 1831. The painting on the interior walls of the church belongs to the famous painter Gheorghe Tatarescu.
Between 1800-1801, the whole city was be set on fire by his Turks of Pasha Cara Mustafa, under the command of Pasha Pasvanoglu of Vidin. The churches were considered among the most important buildings to be destroyed. The Madona Dudu church was also burned down, the thrones, the pulpit and many icons perishing in the flames. The painting was severely damaged, and the buildings around the church were burned to the ground. With God’s mercy, the miraculous icon of the Mother of God escaped from the fire.
The earthquake of 1838 has greatly damaged the church. Not being able to be strengthen, the church was teared down for six years she then rebuilt and decorated in Baroque style. Landlord Iordache Otetelisanu employed the architect who handled the works from Vienna.